Can Darren Clarke win in Sandwich again in 2020 ?
At 42 years old, Darren Clarke became the oldest player to lift the Claret Jug since Roberto de Vicenzo in 1967. This was his 20th appearance, where he defeated Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson by three strokes at Royal St George’s in Sandwich, Kent in 2011.
It followed US Open victories by his fellow Northern Irishmen, Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy and was five years on from a remarkable unbeaten display in a Ryder Cup match played at The K Club in Ireland.
Darren Clarke was awarded an OBE in 2012 and his golfing career includes:
- Two World Golf Championship wins
- Finished joint runner-up to Justin Leonard at Royal Troon in 1997 and tied third when David Duval won at Royal Lytham and St Annes four years later.
- The 2000 Andersen-Consulting Match Play seeing him beat Tiger Woods in the final
- Top 10 finishes in each of the other three major championships
- 14 victories on the European Tour, where he is the only player to have had two rounds of 60.
- After five Ryder Cup caps as a player, four of them wins, he twice served as an assistant captain before leading Europe at Hazeltine in 2016.
“Do you want to see guys wearing khakis and white shirts? Or do you want to see somebody a little bit different? There's more to us than just playing golf. I think it brightens it up and makes it a bit of fun.” (Darren Clarke quote)
If you would like to find out more about Darren Clarke, you can visit his website here.
Are you looking for accommodation in Sandwich, Kent or the surrounding areas for The Open Championship in 2020? We have a great selection of available properties which you can see via our website here.
(Image used with many thanks)Back to News